For more detailed information about Lamont places, we refer you to our special Clan Lamont Society History and Genealogy website


The Manse at Inverchaolin was gifted to the clan by Augusta Lamont of Knockdow and to all intents and purposes is the current clan seat. The Manse is the postal address of the society and contains historical documents and artefacts rescued by the society over time. Society members can arrange to visit the manse.

The ruin of Toward Castle is situated to the south east of the grounds of Castle Toward, a 19th century castellated mansion. The old castle dates from the 15th century and served as the seat of Clan Lamont until it was destroyed by their rivals the Campbells in 1646. Sir John Lamont entertained the tragic Mary Queen of Scots here in 1563.


The ruined Ascog Castle, on the shores of Ascog Loch, dates back to the 15th century and was the ancestral home of the McInnes Lamonts. The Lamonts of Ascog are on record in 1477, but there is indication that the square keep of the castle is of an earlier date. The castle was destroyed by the Campbells of Ormsary during the 1646 massacre, where over 100 clansmen were taken to Dunoon and either hanged or buried alive. There’s not much left of the castle today, but it’s a beautiful, haunting place.

Ascog can be found on the first leg of the Loch Lomond and Cowal way Take welly boots and waterproof trousers if you plan to visit. The route starts at portavadie an excellent marina and leisure complex


After Toward in 1646, Ardlamont became the seat of the Lamonts. Ardlamont House is a Georgian estate house lying at the tip of the Cowal peninsula, 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi) south of Kames, in Argyll, Scotland. It is designated as a Category B listed building by Historic Scotland. The two-storey house is harled. The main block has a piended slate roof, while the single-storey wings have skew gables. The original building on the site is thought to be medieval but was heavily remodelled after the Napoleonic wars. The Ardlamont Estate was the location of the Ardlamont murder in 1893.


Kilfinan Parish Church dates back to before the Reformation and houses the Lamont vault which contains interred remains of the clan’s chiefs and an 11th century cross inspired by the Iona Cross alongside burial stones and other fine pieces of early Christian stonework that date as far back as the ninth century. Although much altered, the church bears much of its original layout with its low ceilings and long and narrow aisle.


The seat of the McGorrie Lamonts, the house is located in a 6,000 acre estate, about 11 miles south-east of Dunoon. It was built in 1817, funded by investments in the Caribbean. The last Lamont laird was a significant benefactor of the clan. Though in private hands parts can be rented out. Country Life magazine highlighted this historic mansion in June 2017. Click here to learn more about this 12-bedroom mansion.


Send a completed application form by clicking the button below to become a member.


Purchase items from Clan Lamont. Click the button below to see what we have available.


Need to pay money to the Clan Lamont Society? Click the button below.


To subscribe to our newsletter complete and submit the following:

    Preloading Highlands Preloading Highlands Preloading Highlands Preloading Highlands Preloading Highlands